Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Firsts...

Today was the first day of preschool. The first day I was totally in charge. The first day of my last semester here working with children.  It was a pretty big day for me!  I was worried about today and told Babe that as long as no children got hurt or died then I would have succeeded. I also told this to my professor and he told me "I think you should raise your bar a little bit..."  I just figured as long as that is my bar height then everyday will be a good day! (hopefully...) Well, thats how I want to look at it.  We were on schedule all day except for getting the children over to closing circle and getting ready for check in check out.  We were just having so much fun in our focus activities (we were making ice cream in bags! (freeezing, but so yummmy!) If you want to try it this is our recipe we used, just go HERE.  We didn't use rock salt though but normal salt worked great (you just have to have lots :))
I have some struggles with one of the girls in my lab but I am working on getting over those... Ugh!  Sometimes its hard to be in charge... ;) Other than that I love my lab, we all work well together and have fun getting to know each other also.
I am so blessed to work with children everyday.  Seriously, I could be having the worst day and then they totally change it around.  They tell you the funniest things like today...

I was helping a little girl get on her coat and mentioned I liked all the snowflakes on it. She told me she also loved snowflakes and would eat them! I just kind of laughed when she said, "I love eating them and catching them on my tongue and then when I do they melt and turn into my poop.  I just poop them out and then eat some more."  

I could not stop laughing, where do kids come up with this stuff?  :) And if you know me at all then you know that poop is one of  my favorite words.  Mature right? ;) So that made it even more funny!  I just love working with these spirit children and learning from them.   I love Matthew 18: 2-6



And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.
 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
What a powerful set of scriptures isn't it?  I just love working with children, I can't say that enough.  I love my major.  I love being an advocate for children.  I love learning about their development.  I love spending my time thinking about fun things for them to do each day.  I love learning about simple things that that I never thought about before.  (Did you know butterflies make a chrysalis, not a cocoon? The story "The Hungry Caterpillar" teaches it wrong... pointless information, but its something I learned in preschool! :)) What a blessing it is to LOVE what I do, it really makes going to school more of a hobby then a chore! :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment