Thursday, March 27, 2014

Be there, really there!

I was reading THIS blog post the other day and it really hit me hard.  Here I was sitting next to babe while he was on his phone, Jenson playing on the ground.  We were all "there" but doing different things.  I felt so guilty that I wasn't being all there.  I know that that is not always possible but I have been trying to do a lot better.  I didn't realize how much I used my phone until I tried to not use it when feeding or playing with Jenson during the day.  It becomes so easy and something to do, I have to be "caught up" on everything social media that it is a bit ridiculous.  I know I am not perfect by any means but know that I am really aware I am going to try to do all I can to really be there with the people I am with.  I don't want Jenson to grow up addicted to screens to keep him entertained.  
I remember in some of my child development classes we would talk about how when we were little we would use our own imagination when we would play, for example we would use a stick or something for a sword.  Today everything is made easy for us, we don't need to pretend with sticks when we can just buy any toy we want-which isn't a bad thing either.  There is a book called "15 Minutes Outside" by Rebecca P Cohen I have only read some of it but I couldn't agree more, just 15 minutes outside can do wonders. I want to be the kind of mom that makes memories my children will always remember.  I know my sister Mindy was doing this, it wasn't anything big but I loved that she is outside with them as well, not just sending them out to play by themselves.  
As women I think we get this list of things that need to be done and we think we have "failed" if we can't do everything {or is that only me?}  I get this huge list and feel so guilty when Babe comes home and none of it has gotten done.  I am teaching myself now that although it is good to be productive, we also need to spend quality time doing things that are truly important.  Time flies, I already get sad thinking how fast Jenson is growing up and he is only 8 weeks.  I don't want these days to pass by and regret not spending time with him, really being there.  
I love what Elder Uchdorf said during his conference talk "Of Things That Matter Most"

Since “no other success can compensate for failure” 12 here, we must place high priority on our families. We build deep and loving family relationships by doing simple things together, like family dinner and family home evening and by just having fun together. In family relationships love is really spelled t-i-m-e,time. Taking time for each other is the key for harmony at home. We talk with, rather than about, each other. We learn from each other, and we appreciate our differences as well as our commonalities. We establish a divine bond with each other as we approach God together through family prayer, gospel study, and Sunday worship.

None of us are perfect, I will be the first to admit that but we can all be better in focusing on those things that truly matter the most.  I encourage you to all "be there" this week, focus on the ones you are with not the ones in your phone or on the television.  Remember it's okay if you don't get everything on your "to do" list done.  Take in the time you have with your loved ones now, don't regret not making those memories and strengthening those relationships.  Even if you spend the whole day in your pjs, enjoy the time you have!  Life doesn't slow down, but you can!


ps. I know this post is really random and probably doesn't make any since, I'm not very elegant with words but I know how I feel.  I hope you can get something from this and work on it in your own life.


What are some of your favorite things to do with your family?
What do you remember most about your childhood?

No comments:

Post a Comment