Thursday, December 4, 2014

Thankful


I have never had to go without, I have always had food on the table (even if it was just top a roman), I have always had a warm coat and clothes to wear.  I am not without blessing.  But sometimes life gets hard and I tend to forget all that I have.  With Babe being in school full time and me with Jenson full time the only "real" income we have is Babe's tutoring job bringing in a whopping 40$ a month or so.  I am so thankful he still works to support us but I am also extremely grateful for student loans right now- weird I know but that's our "income".  Funny how that all works out isn't it... I am thankful we live in income based housing, I am thankful for the help of the government (which we don't take lightly.)  There were times that that extra money was all we had, and for that I know that my family will never have to go hungry.

I sound really shallow when saying this but I LOVE getting presents, it's my love language ;) I always joke with babe saying that I want everything for Christmas (even though I have everything I need and don't even know what I want... haha).  And honestly he does just that, year after year I get things I didn't even know I want.  Long story short I am the annoying needy one who wants to give and get presents and Babe is the selfless humble one who just wants time with family (don't get me wrong I want and NEED that too!)  This year for Christmas is different though.  I am trying really hard to focus on the things that really matter.

I am so thankful I already have a ticket home for Christmas or I am not sure we would be able to make it down because of unexpected car troubles.  I am focusing on the positive instead of the negative.

Positive:  I get to be with my family for Christmas
Negative: We have had to spend over $1, 500 on Howard (our car) in just the last 2 weeks to make it possible to drive home (or anywhere...)

Positive:  It was a blessing we went on a shorter vacation to find out that our car needed help in the first place so nothing would have happened while driving across the country on a much longer trip.
Negative:  We wasted $300 on Howard to "fix" the problem that wasn't even the problem.

Positive: Matt is able to carpool with our good friends so our lack of car isn't as big of a deal as it could be.
Negative:  Not having a car for 3 days...if not more.

Positive: Jenson being so young, and not caring about what Santa will bring him.  It kills me not to give him everything I want to, but I am thankful for a Husband that talks since into me and makes me realize it's all just "stuff" and he really just wants love.
Negative: Not being uber rich right now (like we will be in the future) ;)

Positive:  Being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and knowing the He is The Gift.  He is all we really need.  I am thankful for that knowledge and the peace it brings me.  I am thankful this year to be completely broke, forcing us to look at the true meaning of Christmas, instead of the the gifts (or lack of gifts..) under the tree.  It really isn't about the money, I am thankful for that stressful lesson I am learning right now.
I am thankful for a hard working husband who does everything in his power to make us happy and support us.  I am thankful for a giving family who helps us most when we need it, and when we don't.  I am thankful for the constant reminders from Jenson that all we really need is to cherish the time we have with each other. I am thankful for the things I have and cherish.  I am thankful for my talents (if I can call them that...) and for learning new skills, things I would have never done if I wasn't making some gifts this year! :)
I am thankful for a patient husband who everyday I strive to be more like.  I don't know how I got so lucky to be with him, he is my biggest example, my rock, my best friend, and my teacher.  I wish I could give him everything like he gives me.


I know this post has been really random and probably confusing to most, I just feel like I have so much on my mind these days that I had to write it down somewhere or my head would explode.  I didn't mean any of it as a pitty party either so sorry if it came out that way.  I really am so blessed to have everything I do!  So props to you if you actually read it.. haha

I am thankful for this Christmas season and for the chance to really focus on our Savior. It is a time to slow down and really focus on the things that matter most.  

What do you or your family do to really focus on Christ?
How do you get into the Christmas spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment