Friday, November 18, 2011

A year ago..

I still remember what I was doing a year ago because they are some of the most things that have strengthened my testimony to this day.  So lets rewind to that week...
I remember getting the call from my Dad that my grandma was not doing good and that she might not make it much longer, to make sure George was working in case I had to hurry home. Ashley my roommate happened to walk in to our room while I was talking to my dad, she knew something was wrong and stayed there until all my tears were gone.  She was the only one home at the time, which was good because I didn't want to tell everyone what was going on.  That night was Monday which meant FHE- I don't know how or when but somehow Ashley told everyone kind of what was going on.  The hard part about being at school is your dad isn't there to give you a priesthood blessing when you need one, but being at a Mormon school I had all of my FHE brothers, my home teachers, and my best friends all worthy and willing to give me one.  We ended up calling back a few of my brothers to come and give me a blessing, everyone was gone except for Ashley,  the blessing I was giving was exactly what I needed to hear and have at that time.  What a blessing it is to have the spirit to comfort you in times of need.  After the blessing they offered to help me with whatever else I might have needed, turns out they both know how to work on cars also and George was in need of some help.  There was snow everywhere, they were in their suits, and it was pitch black outside but they still helped me,  soon after all of my friends were there and few more boys who knew more things about  cars... long story short they were able to figure out what was wrong and helped me get him started again.  
Well the phone call came telling me I should come home to say goodbye to my sweet grandma, they had brought her home from the rehab center and all the family was gathering round.  I was still nervous about driving home so I asked Matt about a ticket for the SLC express (at this time we were just friends, I still liked him but he didn't like me like that...) when I asked him how much it would be he told me that he had taken care of it, he told me what I had to do and told me not to worry about anything.  That was the longest ride home ever, but we finally made it.  Mindy came and picked me up and I got to say goodbye to grandma,  she was still kinda responsive which was a blessing for me because she wasn't much longer.  What a blessing it was to have everyone there.  But the dreaded time came and she passed away.  It was one of the hardest things for me to see, we had gotten really close over the past few years and I honestly didn't want any of it to change.  
My grandpa had prepared a beautiful white home for my grandma and she was blessed to finally be with him again, even if that meant that we couldn't be with her.

It was a long week of tears and sadness but also much laughter, memories, hugs, and growing closer together as a extended family.
And even though outside was storming, after the prayer the clouds parted and the sun came though just long enough for us to all remember that she is in a better place, and finally at peace.
Jillisa, my mom and I had the opportunity  to go and help get my grandma prepared for the viewing.  I will never forget that and the spirit we felt there.  She was so peaceful even though her body looked so worn and tried, being dressed in her beautiful temple gowns she looked just like an angel.
Last night Matt and I were able to go to the temple,  I love the feeling of being so close to those who have died while in there.  I know that I will get to see her and my grandpa again.  One day I hope to be just like her, like my mom is and I hope my kids will be.  I love this picture and hope to one day have the hard working, service giving, loving hands that they both have.  I love you grandma and can't wait to be with you again, give grandma a hug and a kiss for me! :) I love love love you!